Department: Manufacturing Engineering Group Location: Kokomo, IN
Provide direct metallurgical and technical processing support to Manufacturing in the Kokomo Cold Strip Mill & related areas. Also support Production Control, Quality Control, Sales/Marketing, and other departments as needed in our shared goal of improving safety, quality, productivity and cost to insure that our products meet or exceed both internal and external customer requirements.
Role Qualifications: (Required) & (Preferred)
B.S. Metallurgy, Materials Science or other Engineering specialty with related experience (Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, etc.) (R).
College Graduate (R), 1-5 years in primary metals manufacturing industry (or related end-user industry) (P).
Areas of Knowledge:
Fundamental materials behavior (R); Thermomechanical processing of hot-rolled and/or cold rolling metals &
finishing of sheet & coil products (P); Physical metallurgy of Ni- and Co base alloys (P); Manufacturing processes and equipment for conversion of Ingot metallurgy forms into wrought products (P); Statistical Process Control (SPC)
and/or Lean (P).
Communication, Organization, Planning, Computer (Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint, etc.) (R).
Global Accountabilities for the Role:
- Safety/Environmental: Adhere to, support, and promote our corporate safety and environmental goals and policies across all areas of responsibility.
- Quality: Ensure a high quality of all materials shipped to customers by actively identifying process/control issues, making sound decisions on reworking and/or scrapping material, and follow-up on remedial actions to ensure they are effective and complete.
- Delivery/Productivity: Demonstrate an attitude of timeliness for requested work from your direct manager and area superintendents.
- Cost/Stewardship: Demonstrate good stewardship in exercising judgment in the use of company resources in dispositioning of nonconforming material and in developing optimal manufacturing processes.
Specific Accountabilities for the Role:
- Learn the CSM manufacturing processes and basic Ni & Co alloy Process Metallurgy required to provide daily technical support necessary to meet delivery schedules. Work with Engineering Managers, Senior Engineers & Technicians, Manufacturing supervisors, Production Control personnel and operators to obtain required knowledge.
- Maintain and develop effective Standard Operating Practices & "Base Routings" for the Cold Strip Mill (CSM) & Cold Finish Flats (CFF) Finishing operations and review process routings for accuracy before they are released to Production.
- Monitor processes in area of responsibility to insure effective, continuous efforts to improve process control, reduce off-quality costs and meet specific department yearly commitments.
- Provide effective and timely disposition of Product Reviews for nonconforming products generated in area of responsibility while making effort to maximize yield (e.g. consult with Managers for Mfg. Engineering & Quality, Manufacturing, Production Control and/or Sales sell to modified requirements or reprocess where appropriate.
- Effectively communicate with Manufacturing, Production Control, Sales/Mktg. & provide feedback on production status or issues.
- Utilize the Process Deviation Proposal (PDP) system to initiate Mfg. Engineering improvement trials, and to summarize results that should be implemented as new practices/SOP's.